Pioneer Home

The Pioneer Home, standing on its original site, was built by the Summer family in the 1800’s. It was part of the Summer complex known as the “Summer’s Block.” An article in the Fairplay Flume of May 19, 1881 stated: Leonhard Summer will move into the neat frame building next to his saloon on Front Street. His former residence is for rent (which was on the second floor of the Summer Brewery).

The date of construction of the building is not known; however, the earliest known photograph of it shows the Brewery and the Summer Saloon next door. This picture was taken well before 1900. The porch and wing had not been added yet and all that is shown is the narrow false front.

The last residents of the house were the Dan Denny family. Mr. Denny, known as Uncle Dan, was a blacksmith and had his shop in a building (no longer standing) east of the Brewery Building. He also worked on the gold dredge doing repair work. Though the house was owned by A.F. Wilmarth, internationally known political cartoonist and publisher of the Fairplay Flume, many old-timers still think of it as the Denny House.

Mr. and Mrs. Denny moved into the home in the second quarter of this century in less-than-perfect condition. In 1950 Col. Mayer, whose house is across the street, celebrated his 100th birthday in this house with the Dennys. The South Park Historical Society obtained the property in the late 1950’s.