Mining Display

No better place exists to display mining equipment than the building next to the assay office. It was built in 1972-73 to replace an earlier one whose roof had collapsed by heavy snows. Here one can see the machinery used in the gold mining operations of the 1800’s. A portable boiler built by the Ames Iron Works of Oswego, New York to generate the steam pressure to run an engine, is shown connected to a one-cycle Nagle Engine, built around 1900. The engine produced up to 25 hp. at 2200 r.p.m., sufficient power to operate an entire 10-stamp mill (a stamp mill is a mill in which ore is crushed with a pestle or a heavy instrument). A leather belt connected the flywheel to the line shaft. A line-shaft (consisting of pulleys on a metal shaft) was turned at a constant r.p.m. by the steam engine in order to run the mill’s machinery at the correct speeds. Each piece of equipment had to be belted to a proper sized pulley on the shaft.

At the Upper Moose Mine, Mr. Snyder noticed two steam boilers dated 1867 among the decaying equipment and decided they would be perfect for South Park City. The boilers had been slated to go to the Smithsonian Institute until it was decided that getting them off the mountain would be too costly and difficult. However that did not deter Mr. Snyder. He contacted Arthur Flannigan, a Realtor and former mining engineer from Alma, and they concluded that with the proper moving equipment they could get the job done. As one can see, their efforts were successful. One of these boilers is located in the mill building, the other boiler rests at the north end of South Park City facing Mt. Bross—the very mountain where it had served those early miners many years ago.