The Garo Cabin, located in what was once the brewery yard, was relocated from Garo in late summer 1973. It was donated by Mrs. Fay Turner and she gave the building a date of 1895. It was one of four buildings that existed in the town of Garo. The building is made of logs that have been cut flat on the ends, to form corner joints. The logs were then stacked one upon the other to construct the walls. The space between the logs was then caulked to form a water-tight seal. Today it contains domestic items that were used by the pioneer housewife. Displayed are old pressing irons of the 1800’s. There is a “sad-iron”, with the handle permanently cast to the body of the iron and weighing approximately five pounds. Before any pressing was done the iron had to be heated by placing it on top of a cooking stove. One can examine a “fluting iron”, used to press ruffles, along with irons with detachable handles, and ones that are heated with charcoal and/or gasoline. Also displayed is a mangle with wooden rollers that was also used for pressing.
A crude, rocker-type washing machine with a hand wringer stands ready for another load. Here is a “cyclone” washer: the cleaning action was by a manual stomper which caused a suction action with the water and the clothes to get out the dirt. A wash boiler sits in the corner. The housewife filled the boiler with water and heated it on the top of the stove. The clothes were then put in and stirred to get the dirt out. There are hand-held scrub-boards, made of wood and ribbed metal. These were used to scour the clothes to loosen the dirt. A wooden ironing board with an attachment for ironing ruffles rests against the wall. These were the laundry tools of the pioneer housewife. They represent one of the many chores of the frontier woman. This was not an easy life. No automated electric appliances as one now takes for granted. Leaving the Garo Cabin, one visits the old courthouse.