The Koinonia Foundation, Inc
Caring and Sharing in the Local Community
Koinonia is Greek for "a Christian community of caring and sharing." Last year we helped over 300 families with a variety of services to meet their extenuating needs. We provide emergency financial assistance for rent, mortgage, security deposits, utilities, and prescriptions. We also serve families with emergency food and provide clothing and household items as needed.
Besides striving to meet emergency needs, we refer our clients to other agencies that will benefit them either immediately or in the long term (to include referrals for employment, education, daycare, housing, medical, transportation, and mental/emotional issues for support or care). Our foremost requirement for eligibility is that the client lives in our geographical service area. The aid given to each client is based on their individual needs and our resources.
We also have several programs throughout the year that benefit the needy families in our community. August Angels is a back-to-school program for area children whose parents cannot afford school supplies and clothing for the start of the new school year. We strive to give new backpacks, school supplies, socks, underwear, shoes, and at least one outfit for each child in need.
Our Holiday program for Thanksgiving and Christmas provides food baskets to families, elderly, and handicapped, while the Holiday Wish Program provides new toys and clothing to needy children. Summer camp scholarships are available for children to attend an approved day or overnight camp or enrichment program. Educational funds are also available to assist those pursuing better employment situations by pursuing an education.
Our outreach program for transients aids the local churches in meeting transportation and food needs of homeless people by providing coupons for hot meals at a local fast food restaurant and gas vouchers for those who have vehicles to be redeemed at a local service station. We also provide transients with other resources to aid them in getting long term help in their situations.
Most Needed Items
- Clean clothing in good condition for men, women, and children (especially children's sizes 6-16) along with shoes in good condition.
Note: Winter clothing is accepted from September through February and Spring/Summer clothing is accepted from March through August.
- New underwear and new socks: all sizes for men, women, and children
- Children's toys and books
- Household items in good condition for kitchen, bath, and bedroom such as sets of dishes, glasses, pots and pans, flatware, towels, shower curtains, sheets, blankets, and comforters/bedspreads
- Small appliances in working condition such as toasters, can openers, irons, coffee pots, hair dryers, curling irons, and clock radios
- Decorative household items such as lamps, wall hangings, knicknacs, and throw pillows
- Unopened food products and personal hygiene items such as
- Condiments, spaghetti sauce, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable oil, pastas, rice, and beans
- Deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, feminine products, cleaning supplies, and laundry detergents are always needed because families cannot use food stamps to buy these products
Items We Do Not Accept
- Soiled, stained, or torn items or items in need of repair
- Furniture, large appliances, skis, hangers, typewriters, computers, suitcases
- Books (except for children's books)
- We have several programs throughout the year that require more specific needs such as
- New school supplies, backpacks, socks, underwear, and jeans for our August Angels program
- Holiday food baskets for Thanksgiving and Christmas
- New toys/gifts four our Christmas Holiday Program
- For current tax year credit of used items, please bring them before Thanksgiving. Due to space limitations we only accept Holiday Program items (new clothing, gift, and food items) between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- We are closed all Federal Holidays and from Food Basket Day at Christmas until after the New Year's Day Holiday.
- Due to unpredictable weather, please do not leave donations when our office is closed.
How to Contact Koinonia
Address: 6037 Franconia Rd Alexandria, VA Telephone: (703) 971-1991 Fax: (703) 971-0449 Hours: 9 a.m. - Noon, Monday - Friday
United Way/CFC #:
RHCA Home Page